Don't think that you can't make it to a conference because you can't afford to go – try applying for travel funding first! In many cases, your research advisor has some funding for this purpose. If so, to attend or give a talk at a professional conference or meeting, see what is available for you as early as your 1st year of studies. Travel and Business (T&B) form and ALL ORIGINAL RECEIPTS* must be submitted within two weeks upon returning from your trip to the Travel and Business Coordinator for both our department and Geology and Environmental Sciences, in 200 SRCC.
The Department knows of three different sources of travel funding right now. If you have any questions, contact the organization offering the fellowship or grant, or talk to the Graduate Administrator. Be sure to look at the additional information about your UPMC Health Plan and services offered while traveling for research or working at a research facility. Information with regard to procedures for reimbursement of travel expenses (if applicable). Questions about travel expenses can also be directed to the department's Accounts Administrator.
Receipts/supporting documentation should be legible, and provide sufficient detail to support the validity of the expenses charged to University and sponsored project accounts. They should include supplier name, date of purchase or service, goods or service purchased, amount of charge or payment, payment type (credit/debit/cash).
• For lodging, a detailed hotel bill (folio) showing the method of payment is required, unless the traveler is unable to obtain one in a remote global destination.
• For conference registrations, only a debit/credit card receipt is required.
• Debit/credit card receipts should show the last 4 digits of the card on the receipt.
• Email confirmation/receipts for airline charges are acceptable.
• All other types of expenses for which reimbursement is sought should have a receipt directly from the supplier of the good or service, and not a credit card receipt.