Vincent Liu is interested in the theory of emergent equilibrium and dynamic phenomena of interacting many-particle systems and their universal aspects with origin from symmetry and topology. His research group has considerable experience in superfluidity and superconductivity, quantum gases, orbital physics, quasi-one dimensional models (such as Luttinger liquids), and strongly correlated electronic materials. He has a background in quantum field theory and is interested in all applications of it to interacting quantum matter. Current research primarily focuses on the rapidly developing field of ultra-cold atomic gases and dense light, as well as transdisciplinary topics from novel electronic materials and high-density QCD matter.
- Fellow of the American Physical Society (APS), 2017
- Outstanding Young Researcher Award - Overseas Chinese Physics Association, 2007
- “Evidence for an atomic chiral superfluid with topological excitations”, X.-Q. Wang, G.-Q. Luo, J.-Y. Liu, W. V. Liu*, A. Hemmerich*, and Z.-F. Xu*, Nature 596, 227–231 (2021).
- “Weyl Semimetal Made Ideal with a Crystal of Raman Light and Atoms”, X. Li, W. V. Liu, “News & View”, Science Bulletin 66(13):1253-1255 (2021)
- “Floquet Higher-order topological insulators with anomalous dynamical polarization”, B. Huang, W. V. Liu, Phys. Rev. Lett. 124, 216601 (2020); “Dynamical singularities of Floquet higher-order topological insulators”, H. Hu, B. Huang, E. Zhao, W. V. Liu, Phys. Rev. Lett. 124, 057001 (2020)
- “Exactly solvable symmetry protected topological phases of quantum spins on a zig-zag lattice”, H. Zou, E. Zhao, X. Guan, W. V. Liu, Phys. Rev. Lett. 122, 180401 (2019)
- “Clean Floquet Time Crystals,” B. Huang, Y.-H. Wu, W. V. Liu, Phys. Rev. Lett. 120, 110603 (2018)
- “Physics of higher orbital bands in optical lattices: a review”, X. Li, W. V. Liu, Rep. Prog. Phys. 79, 116401 (2016)
- “Topological semimetal in a fermionic optical lattice,” K. Sun, W. V. Liu, A. Hemmerich, S. Das Sarma, Nature Physics 8, 67-70 (2012).
- “Orbital Dance,” M. Lewenstein and W. V. Liu, Nature Physics 7, 101 (FEB 2011).
- "Atomic matter of non-zero momentum Bose-Einstein condensation and orbital current order," W. V. Liu, C. Wu, Phys. Rev. A74, 013607 (2006).
- "Interior gap superfluidity," W. V. Liu and F. Wilczek, Phys. Rev. Lett. 90, 047002 (2003). "Stability Criteria for Breached Pair Superfluidity," M. M. Forbes, E. Gubankova, W. V. Liu, F. Wilczek, Phys. Rev. Lett. 94, (2005) 017001. Reported in "Odd Particle Out," Phys. Rev. Focus, 5 January 2005.
- "Competing orders in coupled Luttinger liquids," C. Wu, W. V. Liu, and E. Fradkin, Phys. Rev. B 68, 115104 (2003).
- "Theoretical study of the damping of collective excitations in a Bose-Einstein condensate," W. V. Liu, Phys. Rev. Lett. 79, 4056 (1997).