University of Pittsburgh
215 Allen Hall
(412) 624-2730 (lab)
(412) 624-9163 (fax)
Grad StudentsFeng Bi
Li, Jianan "Arthur"
Rongpu Zhou - Graduate Student Mentor 2010
My research interests are primarily based upon exploring novel phenomena in solid state systems, in order to provide the physical foundation for future technologies. Areas of interest include physical systems capable of quantum information processing and quantum computation, nanoscale control over metal-insulator transition in polar/non-polar oxide heterostructures, the study of ferroelectric domain dynamics using optical probes, ferroelectrically nanostructured semiconductors, formation of Ge/Si quantum dots by "directed self-assembly", and development of novel optical and scanning probe techniques including near-field optical microscopy. I am the director of the Center for Oxide-Semiconductor Materials for Quantum Computation (COSMQC).
- "Sketched oxide single-electron transistor", Guanglei Cheng, Pablo F. Siles, Feng Bi, Cheng Cen,Daniela F. Bogorin, Chung Wung Bark, Chad M. Folkman, Jae-Wan Park, Chang-Beom Eom, Gilberto Medeiros-Ribeiro and Jeremy Levy , Nature Nanotechnology 6, 343 (2011).
- "Rewritable nanoscale oxide photodetector", Patrick Irvin, Yanjun Ma, Daniela F. Bogorin, Cheng Cen, Chung Wung Bark, Chad M. Folkman, Chang-Beom Eom and Jeremy Levy, Nature Photonics 4, 849 (2010).
- "A Ferroelectric Oxide Made Directly on Silicon," M. P. Warusawithana, C. Cen, C. R. Sleasman, J. C. Woicik, Y. Li, L. Fitting-Kourkoutis, J. A. Klug, H. Li, P. Ryan, L.P. Wang, M. Bedzyk, D. A. Muller, L.Q. Chen, J. Levy, and D.G. Schlom, Science 324, 367 (2009).
"Oxide Nanoelectronics on Demand,"C. Cen, S. Thiel, J. Mannhart, and J. Levy, Science 323, 1026 (2009).
- "Nanoscale Control of an Interfacial Metal-Insulator Transition at Room Temperature," C. Cen, S. Thiel, G. Hammerl, C. W. Schneider, K. E. Andersen, C. S. Hellberg, J. Mannhart, and J. Levy, Nature Materials, 7, 298 (2008).
- "GHz Apertureless Near-Field Scanning Optical Microscopy of Ferroelectric Nanodomain Dynamics," H. Ma and J. Levy, Nano Letters 6, 341 (2006).
- "Patterning of sub-10-nm Ge islands on Si(100) by directed self-assembly," O. Guise, J. Ahner, J. John T. Yates, V. Vaithyanathan, D. G. Schlom, and J. Levy, Appl. Phys. Lett. 87, 1902 (2005).
- "Room-Temperature Ferroelectricity in Strained SrTiO3," J. H. Haeni, P. Irvin, W. Chang, R. Uecker, P. Reiche, Y. L. Li, S. Choudhury, W. Tian, M. E. Hawley, B. Craigo, A. K. Tagantsev, X. Q. Pan, S. K. Streiffer, L. Q. Chen, S. Kirchoefer, J. Levy, and D. G. Schlom, Nature 430, 758 (2004).
- "Universal quantum computation with spin-1/2 pairs and Heisenberg exchange," J. Levy, Phys. Rev. Lett. 89, 147902 (2002).
- "Quantum Information Processing with Ferroelectrically Coupled Quantum Dots," J. Levy, Phys. Rev. A 64, 52306 (2001).